Official Partner The Royal Society of Medicine

Menu

MRCOG

The MRCOG is the membership examination for the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, which has over 15,000 Fellows and Members worldwide. A version of this exam has been in use since 1931, and currently comprises three parts:

The Part 3 exam is the final part of the validation process for entry onto the Specialist Register, and trainees will usually complete all parts before beginning ST6. Once all parts have been successfully completed, the postnominal MRCOG may be used.


Examination Timetable

ExaminationExamination PeriodApplication Opening DateApplication Closing Date
Part 1January 201923 August 2018-
Part 2January 201930 August 2018-
Part 3November 20182 August 201830 August 2018

Part 1 MRCOG

The Part 1 MRCOG examination consists of two written papers, each consisting of 100 SBA questions to be answered over 150 minutes. A candidate’s performance is determined by the overall mark across the two papers, not a minimum threshold on each.

From 2018 onwards, the exam periods will fall in January and July.

The exams can be taken in centres in London, Manchester, Edinburgh, and Dublin.

International applicants may sit the exam in Bangladesh, China (Hangzhou) Egypt, Greece (Thessaloniki), Hong Kong, India (Bangalore, Delhi), Iraq (Basrah), Lebanon, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan (Lahore), Saudi Arabia (Riyadh), Singapore, Sudan, UAE (Abu Dhabi), and the West Indies (Trinidad).

Candidates may have to pay local administration fees in the overseas centres, but will be informed of any outstanding fees upon application. Candidates’ preferred exam centres may reallocate applicants due to over-subscription, or cancellation.

The exam will cost £445 if taken in the UK, or £378 if taken overseas. There is an additional £10 administration fee if paying by phone, bank draft, or cheque.

Part 2 MRCOG

The Part 2 MRCOG is a written examination with two papers, each counting for 50% of the marks. Single best answer questions account for 40% of the questions on each paper, with extended matching questions accounting for the remaining 60%. Each paper will consist of 50 SBAs and 50 EMQs, with the RCOG recommending that candidates spend 70 minutes on the SBAs, and 110 on the EMQs. The papers are three hours long.

From 2018 onwards, the exam periods will fall in January and July.

The exams can be taken in centres in London, Manchester, Edinburgh, and Dublin.

International applicants may sit the exam in Bangladesh, Egypt, Hong Kong, India (Bangalore, Delhi), Iraq (Basrah), Myanmar, Oman, Pakistan (Lahore), Saudi Arabia (Riyadh), Singapore, Sudan, UAE (Abu Dhabi), and the West Indies (Trinidad).

Candidates may have to pay local administration fees in the overseas centres, but will be informed of any outstanding fees upon application. Candidates’ preferred exam centres may reallocate applicants due to over-subscription, or cancellation.

The exam will cost £445 if taken in the UK, or £378 if taken overseas. There is an additional £10 administration fee if paying by phone, bank draft, or cheque.

Part 3 MRCOG

The Part 3 MRCOG is an assessment of clinical skills, competencies, and knowledge – and is the point at which trainees pass from Core to Higher Training at ST6 and ST7. The assessment comprises 14 tasks in a single circuit, with each station examining one of the 14 modules in the syllabus. With each module, candidates should demonstrate competence in the following areas:

Each task lasts for 12 minutes, including two minutes of reading time. There will be a clinical examiner present on all stations, and a lay examiner on four. The tasks themselves will fall into one of two categories:

There may also be some ‘linked tasks’ in which knowledge acquired in the first task is built on in a second.

The exams can be taken in centres in London, Hong Kong, Delhi, and Singapore.

The exam will cost £441 if taken in London, or £368 if taken in Hong Kong, Singapore, or Delhi. There is a local administration fee in both Hong Kong and Singapore.

Loading

Loading More Content